- I don't belong. Not here. Not now. I have to get back there. The bet was rigged, he made me believe. Now there's darkness in my soul. I want to die... again. But I chose to come back. Why?
- -- Spawn
- -- Spawn
Appearing in "Questions, Part One"
- Spawn (Al Simmons) (First Appearance) (appears in both flashback and main story)
- Jason Wynn (First Appearance) (flashback only)
- Malebolgia (First Appearance)
- Carlo Giamotti (Single appearance) (corpse)
- Central Intelligence Agency
- Sam Burke (First Appearance)
- Twitch Williams (First Appearance)
- Jessica Tokwell (First Appearance)
- Wanda Blake (First Appearance) (flashback only)
- Necroplasm (First Appearance)
Plot Synopsis for "Questions, Part One"
Five years ago in 1987, news flash reports discussed the recent death of American hero, Albert Simmons, who had saved the president's life previously working in the CIA. Some channels reported on how his wife, Wanda Blake, appeared with another man at the wake, Martin Alexander.
Spawn recalls being a part of the CIA, Jason Wynn, and his death. He wanted to return to someone, someone he loved. When he sees a vision of his wife, he recalls making a deal with a demon to return. He curses the demon as it was his terms and now he can't recall his past life. Spawn feels his new power surging through him and decides to find his wife. Once he gets some answers, he'll track down the demon who screwed him on the deal.
At a crime scene elsewhere, Sam Burke asks Twitch Williams about a mobster murder. Twitch explains several times to Burke that while he was thrown through a window, he died of his heart being removed from his chest and being shoved into his mouth. Burke shows little remorse as several other major crime syndicate members had been killed recently in a similar manner.
At a nearby rooftop, Spawn spots several men sexually attacking a woman. He easily disposes of them and uses part of his necroplasm to bomb them.
As the men flee, Spawn experiences another flashback, even stronger than before, and he feels he MUST find Wanda.
Upon returning to his senses, he finds he wept in the woman he saved arms as she holds him and feels his pain.
News reporters report on today's news of 1992 that a fourth gangland murder has been committed. There are also reports of the spotting of Spawn.
As Spawn wanders through the streets, he angrily pulls down his glove and realizes his body is charred and physically disfigured.
Twitch and Sam can't believe the physical damage Spawn caused to several of the gang members with his necroplasm bomb.
Elsewhere, Malebolgia watches over Simmons and says outloud to himself that he will have so many more problems coming his way as he breaks into a maniacal laughter.
- This issue is dedicated to Jack Kirby
- This issue sold 1.7 million copies during its launch
- Spawn's Necroplasm is depleted from 9,999 to 9,995 with a necrosplasm bomb.
- Spawn is mistaken for a member of the Youngbloods.
Links and References
- No external links.